The great day comes after years of effort, and the triumph of the 1983 world cup was such a day that came after great effort made by the Indian team in the final and for years. Meanwhile, many things fell upon, among them, some are known and some are still unknown to many of us. So, we bring into some of the interesting facts of the 1983 world cup final that will amaze you.
1. Srikkanth was the star player of the match, he hit 38 the highest score made by any player in both of the innings. But the thing that many might have not realized that he hit the same four as IAV Richards hit, both hit 7 fours besides a six-hit by Srikkanth.
2. 1983 final match was a low scoring match. After a good start of both of the teams, they fell down at low scoring in the end. Batting first, India lost their last seven wickets for 93 runs whereas West Indies lost their last nine wickets for just 90 runs.
3. Joel Garner and Kapil Dev were the two Indian bowlers who have the best bowling average in the final. Joel bowled four maidens each in his allotted 12 over spell whereas Kapil Dev bowled four maidens in his 11 over spell.
4. Mohinder Amarnath was the man of the match of 1983 final for his outstanding bowling (3/12) in 7 over. It was his second successive man of the Match award, he also won the MOM award in the semi-final match against England.
5. West Indies suffered an unexpected loss in the world cup final. In fact, it was one of the greatest setbacks for the team in cricket history. As a captain, Clive Lloyd resigned immediately after that match, though Lloyd was persuaded later by West Indies Cricket Board to take his resignation back.