Well, you are trying to access your SQL database but repeatedly getting the error code 3417. Undoubtedly, this is irritating, but irritation won’t fix the errors. Instead, the right solution will! This article has brought some pretty good solutions for the SQL server error code 3417. So; let’s get ahead, find the error and fix it.
Microsoft SQL is powerful, fast, and robust, which makes it the most reliable server environment. This is why it is a widely popular database management system across the globe. SQL is designed to manage and control data held in the database management system. When data is stored in the database, it is allocated into files/folders and further into pages. This is where the problems start mostly, though there are some external causes that we’ll discuss in this article.
So, the error code 3417 displayed like ‘‘Windows could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service on local computer error 3417. For more information review the System Event Log” usually appears when you try to connect to the SQL server. As this message itself indicates to review the system event log, you could check the possible causes.
Causes for the Microsoft SQL Server Error Code 3417
- Invalid or inconsistent network account for the data folder
- Changes/modifications in Window Setting
- Database file corruption due to system failure, virus intrusion, etc.
- Compression of SQL database folder
- Mismanagement of the database files/folders
- Displaced location of SQL Server Database Folder
Note that MS SQL server error 3417 may occur if the server database location is not found. This usually happens when you move the SQL server database folder to another location and restart the server.
Best Solutions to Fix SQL Server Error Code 3417
Decompress SQL Server Files/Folder
Compressed SQL files/folders sometimes lead to “server error code 3417” or “access denied”. Decompressing SQL server folders could resolve this error. Follow the following steps to decompress files.
- Navigate C:/program files/MS SQL server MSSQL/data to open the SQL folder location
- Select the folder, right-click, and choose ‘Properties’
- Click on the advanced button in the opened dialogue box
- Clear the check box “Compress content to save disk space”
- Click ‘Ok’ and Restart the SQL server from the server manager
Note that this method will only work if you have compressed the folder earlier. If you haven’t, process with the next solution.
Enable Full Control to SQL Data Folder
- Navigate again to the SQL server folder location C:/program files/MS SQL server MSSQL/ data.
- Right-click and click on the ‘Properties’ tab
- Open the security tab and choose ‘Network Service Account’
- Click ‘Ok’ to grant full access under Authenticated User Section
- Restart/launch the SQL server again and check if the error still persists
Repair Corrupt SQL Server Database Files
- Restore SQL Database from Back-Up using MS SQL Server Management Studio
- If restoring the database doesn’t work or backup is unavailable, repair the corrupt files manually
- For this, use the SQL server command like DBCC and CHECKDB
A complete repair of the corrupt SQL database may fix SQL server error code 3417. But the manual method is less reliable, this may not fix the error. In this case, using efficient SQL database recovery tools could be more useful.
Sometimes the errors are more stubborn than we think. So, if the above-mentioned solutions don’t work or you fail to try those methods correctly, an experts’ wit or third party solutions could work better. But you must ensure that the third party solution has the ability to eradicate the errors like SQL server error code 3417 from the SQL database management system in a hassle-free way. Talking about a few most efficient SQL database recovery tools, Kernel is one that you could make use of to fix the error.